Tuesday, April 22, 2008

When it rains...

Well, in DC, when it rains, it pours, then it mists, then it sprinkles, then it is cloudy for a month. But at least the weather coincides with our current state of global affairs. Allow the diagram below to aid you in your perception of our situation globally:

What is this you say? Well, its a fan. Unfortunately, due to the current food crisis, there is no fecal matter available to hit the fan. Therefore, we just have a fan. To stretch the metaphor, perhaps the coming years are going to 'blow' (as fans do create wind).

But in all seriousness. According to one news article, the current food crisis is a 'silent tsunami'. On that note:

1. It would be far more clever if it were a 'tsilent tsunami'.

2. Why are we still calling things tsunamis? The worst natural disaster in our time happened only a few short years ago, and we are going to call something totally unrelated and largely the fault of manmade problems a 'silent tsunami'?

3. Does a tsunami make noise to begin with? Perhaps it sounds like children's laughter.

Things like that really irk me. Just say "worst. food. crisis. ever.". At least it wouldn't intermingle unrelated disasters. Anything but tsunami. Its like comparing everything to Hitler. Just doesn't carry any weight anymore.

So the economy is going to get worse, the food crisis will grow, and we will still use our corn to make ethanol for our cars. I don't mind if some child dies in another continent, so long as I can drive to work in the morning.

WELCOME BACK!

I was gone for awhile! With RK too busy blogging about his beloved twins and defending his thesis, and me too busy working in the real world... wait a second....

Here is my real explanation: Yes, I have been busy. But I have also lacked in motivation. I'm not going to halfassedly blog for yall, so here I am back in blazing colors. Of the rainbow.

What have I been spending my time doing?

Becoming a Nats fan.

Who?

The worst team in baseball.

With RK as my witness, I officially dumped my Braves (in a good season) in favor of my (new) hometown Washington Nationals. I've never been a get on the wagon when times are good type of guy, so it seems fitting they have the worst record in baseball.

Steps to becoming a Nats fan:

1. Wave your hat around as the scoreboard says 'wave those caps'. Lame.

2. Watch the nats lose.

3. Get a nats dog. Realize that nats dogs arent very good. Get a ben's chili bowl chili dog, all the way. Bliss. Get an italian sausage. Have a pocket of blistering hot oil hide within the greasy crevices of the meat, only to explode onto your lukewarm and tender tongue. Wash down with a beer. An overpriced beer sold to you by a 16 year old girl who gave you 4 beers and didnt check for ID.

4. Realize why you love baseball all over again, and want to go to the games all the time now.


It's easy to be a fan of any team. You just have to love the sport. And hope maybe youll meet joe mauer one day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay! you're back! go nats!