Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kicking and Screaming

Last post, I gave y'all a picture of the 4 leading candidates for the presidency. I forgot another candidate who just won't go away. Here are three photos, in chronological order, of our forgotten candidate:

Holy Crap. I always thought he looked familiar.

Yes, it's true, readers. Mike Huckabee is actually infamously stupid TV icon Gomer Pyle. And he just won primaries in several large states. Congratulations. He is quite possibly the most frequent guest picture on our blog.

Do any of you ever have someone who thinks of you as a friend, and you don't quite feel the same? You just want to tell them someday "please leave me alone, I'm embarrassed to be seen with you and you masturbate to anime. And I don't like that." Yet they still cling to you like a desperate pup clings to his mother's teat. GO AWAY!

Well, okay then! That was a somewhat related tangent.

In other news, I am still trying to shy away from endorsing one candidate or another (on the blog) until a nomination has been given. And it's hard.

So to avoid doing so, its time for change. You be the judge on whether I just used a slogan. And if I did, what is the deal with that slogan? wouldn't a new president be a change one way or another regardless?

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

So, I recently got a job in the DC metro area, which obviously makes the political commentary of the blog more legitimate. But I want to show all of you that gender stereotypes most certainly go both ways.

The Scenario:

TL and a young female HR manager are going over company policies for behavior in the workplace. TL has not disclosed his sexuality, because frankly, he doesn't need to. TL never seems to come across to people as gay. Below is a general idea of what was said.

HR: So, to recap, it is okay to have some pictures up in your office, but having a picture of the latest swimsuit model is inappropriate. Any pictures showing too much cleavage or leg are inappropriate for the work place. its okay to have a picture of a girlfriend, just keep it appropriate.

TL: Not a problem.

HR: Good, moving on. Use of the internet in the office is strictly monitored. So if you want to check ESPN.com for the latest scores and updates you will have to do it on your own time, or during a break downstairs in the reading room. Checking the sports pages is inappropriate use of the internet, as is anything like playboy etc. Office computers are for work-related issues ONLY.

TL: Sounds good

Y'all get the idea. My only point is that the same woman who is training me about sexual harassment and discrimination is also making very heteronormative assumptions and very machoistic assumptions due to me being a masculine male. By masculine I mean appearance/vibe/mannerisms.

And while it is actually good idea to tell me not to look at sports pages, the assumption is just about as good as me saying the following:

TL: The workplace is not a place to paint your nails or read Cosmo. Don't put too many frilly pink things on your desk, because they might be offensive to clients. If you would like to bake cookies for everyone, use the office kitchen, where you belong.

TL: The office isn't a place to gossip with the girlfriends over the phone or watch episodes of sex in the city online. Please keep internet use to work-related issues. If you need to read up on your soap operas, you may do so during your break, downstairs.

Yeah, I know, women do get this kinda garbage more often, and I'm not trying to play victim here, I just find it humorous.

And life is good.

:)

No comments: